Donnerstag, 17. Oktober 2013

Clichés in women's football


I’m proud to present you my first blogpost! It is about clichés in women’s football. Here we go!
I started playing football in July 2011, which was only a few days after the Women’s World Championship in Germany was over. And I was aware of all those clichés and prejudices (wo)men have towards female football players. During the past two years I often heard of them when I told people about my new hobby. But I tell you, most of those prejudices are wrong or just outdated. So let me suggest you the most prevalent clichés I came in contact with. 

Women footballers are whining:
No, I can’t approve this. If you get injured seriously during a game, it is normal to be substituted. But women don’t lie on the turf for ages after a foul as some male colleagues do.

Women footballers are not as fast or strong as men:
Yes, that is right, but where is the problem? In other sports, nobody cares about that. By the way, this physical inferiority says nothing about the quality of a match. It doesn’t make women’s football boring automatically.  

Women footballers are peacocky, bitchy and moody:
This sample is near to an insult. If you watch German Premier League, you may see lots of footballers checking their hair style during a match. 
Moreover, most women who pick up a yellow card don’t discuss with the referee for hours, they just accept it.
Women footballers only fall in love with other women:
Nope, that is not true. Sure, there are women footballers who chose a female partner, but where is the problem? Women are just more open with this issue and not so narrow-minded as some men.
Nobody is interested in women’s football:
Compared to men’s football, there are not much spectators, but why should we always be compared with men? Important games are shown by public service broadcasters. Since this season, the private television station Eurosport broadcasts Women’s Bundesliga.

In the end, I've got a video for you, which was often criticized and discussed in public. It is an advertisement from the German public service broadcaster ZDF for the last Women's European Championship in July.










Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen